Monday, August 17, 2009

Enter: Kaboosh

And so it begins!
I am going to start a series of posts about my experience with rerolling a new character, on the other faction from my main, and most importantly on a new realm! These posts will not only follow my progress as I level this new character, but I will also try to provide some insight from the things I learn leveling a new character with no outside help, now that I have spent a fair bit of time learning how the game works!


So this will be my first in what will be a sort of series of posts about leveling my new alt, Kaboosh, on a new server. I'm not transferring any characters over to help (I am a poor college student as it is and I would have to transfer items from Alliance to Horde to help him anyways!) and I *probably* won't be making a Death Knight (at least until 55) to help him with anything either! I'm really looking forward to it because I have always wanted to level another character to level 80, but never had the motivation to do it. Anyways, let me give you a little back story as to how this all came about first.

About a month ago I was talking to my cousin, the one who originally got me into this game, and who I regularly play with to this day (Though he has taken most of the summer off from WoW.) and he mentioned that he wanted to reroll new characters on a new realm this fall when we both start back at college. As much time as I have put into my characters on my current realm, I jumped at the idea and was immediately on board. As I mentioned before I have always wanted to level another character to 80 but I never really had the motivation and didn't think it was something I would ever get around to. With the chance to not only play with my cousin more but also have a partner to level along with me, I figured it would be perfect! We talked about it on and off for a few weeks, deciding that we wanted to do a PvP server (his idea, I'm still a bit skeptical, but excited) and getting ideas of what race/class combinations we wanted to play. Like I said, he first mentioned a PvP server and my initial thought was that it wouldn't be a good idea to level on a PvP server, I just didn't feel like getting beat up all the time. He convinced me that it probably, or at least hopefully, wouldn't be this horrible gank-and-camp-your-bodyfest I had envisioned. I have warmed to the idea a lot now, I definitely like PvP in battlegrounds, so being able to do some world PvPing couldn't be too bad, and since we will be leveling together we might not get beat up to much. At least not by people near our own level.

So we had decided on a server and just needed to pick a class. He was thinking an Orc Rogue or Hunter or something like that would be cool. I suggested a Hunter because the few low level ones I have played have been a blast. He ended up going with a Troll Hunter, and I think that will be a cool choice, they are pretty cool looking. I told him that he could pick whatever he wanted and I would do something in that race so we could be in the same starting zone. I was definitely thinking that a Druid was a class I would love to have at level 80, and after figuring out I could do the starting zone quests in Durotar with a Tauren it was settled. And so was born, Kaboosh, the Tauren Druid. I made him shortly before 3.2 dropped but I made sure to pick the skin color right so I could get the cat and, more importantly, bear forms I wanted! As we talked about it more we decided just to level in our own starting zones and meet up somewhere around level 10 when we both get sent to the Barrens. The more we have talked about it we have decided we probably won't be strictly leveling together, i.e. we won't be waiting until the other is on to go quest and what not, but we will try to stay close so we can do instances, group quests, and whatever else might come up. Of course I loved the idea of at least getting to 10 separately because it meant I could start NOW! And believe I am chomping at the bit to get going on this! I've gotten Kaboosh to level 8 now, and it's been a battle just to stay there or not be on him leveling him constantly! I even picked up cooking and fishing last night so I can have something to do that will allow me to play him but not level too much. We both intend to go all out on these characters, doing all the things we never did on our current 80s, leveling fishing, getting achievements, etc. We've even talked about starting our own guild when we hit 80; namely one that raids at times we can show up for. It has been a problem for both of us, although more so for me, to get into raiding on current 80s because most guilds raid at, well, normal times, which don't really work as well for me, being a busy college student with plenty of things to do and people to see. But that's a few months off, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

So here we are, only a couple more weeks until we both go back to school and we can start in on this full time! (Talk about a good way to get me excited for classes to start again!) In the mean time I have spent the last couple months reading up on Druid leveling and play in general. Researching add-ons that I might find useful, and especially posting on the Just My Two Copper forums about ways to make money on a new character! (If you are looking for info on that check out some of those threads, some great ideas in there!) I definitely want to be able to dual spec this guy as soon as I hit level 40 and having extra money is always high on my priority list anyways! I'll be making a post soon on my success in this field so far too, not to mention some of the other things I am learning/relearning from having a new low level character!

I don't want to make this post too much longer, since I know all of my posts are crazy long (If you surf around on the JMTC forums enough you'll see I'm pretty long-winded there too!) but I am just really excited for what the future holds for this project! There are so many new things to learn and try out and I'm pumped! So stay tuned to see how the process goes, and see what I learn along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment